Yup you heard it right. It’s the perfect vegan cake and by far the moistest yummiest cake. Chocolate cake is that one thing I missed terribly being a vegan. I could give up anything but no chocolate cake? What?? That stinks. As soon as I discovered this unbelievably easy vegan cake I had to give it a go. A cake with no eggs, no milk and no butter. Not even a mixer! You got to be kidding!
Also known as the Crazy Cake, the Whacky cake, this choloctae cake recipe dates back to the Great Depression. Some even call it the Depression Cake. Back then people had to be quite resourceful and the food science they created was pure genius. It must have taken one helluva creativity and baking science to create a cake without eggs or butter. It doesn’t even need a mixer. Easy peezy!!
Chocolate cakes being an all-time family favorite I was damn sure that if this turns out like it should, that’ll turn me into an instant hero. How could I miss the chance? So fingers crossed I started adding all the dry ingredients together at first and like the recipe says, I went on and made 3 depressions in the mixture.
When I added all dry and wet ingredients the mixture looked a bit thick so I went ahead and added half a cup of coke. Yup that’s right. The fizz in the aerated drink helps the cake to fluff up.
For the icing I used Nuttlex, cocoa powder and granulated sugar.
There you go. Isnt that an easy yummy treat? What a great option for your vegan and dairy-free guests during celebrations, don’t you think?
VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1-½ cup self raising flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup coke (optional- as desired)
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Grease an 8-inch square or 9-inch round cake pan.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together
- Make 3 depressions – 2 small and 1 large
- Pour the White vinegar in one of the small depressions, the vanilla in the other , and the vegetable oil in the large depression.
- Now add water and mix with a fork until smooth.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 35 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool.
- Top with your favorite frosting and enjoy!
- 3 tablespoon Nuttlex (or any butter substitute)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar.
Mix well and pour over the cake. Cut into slices and voila!
Your soft moist yummy chocolate cake is ready to be served.
Let me know if you try it out. And remember to share it with your friends.